Physician Device, Allied Device, and
Allied EP Exams Scheduling:
These exams require a scheduling permit to schedule your exam appointment and to enter the testing site. Proper identification will be required.
To take a Computer Based Testing (CBT) examination, complete the following steps:
- Register for the examination by completing the IBHRE exam application. All registration fees must be paid in full at the time of registration. At the close of registration, IBHRE will send the full examinee list and applicant data to the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) and Prometric. This data must be forwarded four months prior to the examination date.
- A few months after the registration deadline date, you will be sent an electronic link to access your Scheduling Permit. The Permit is your confirmed approval to take the computer based examination
- After you receive your Permit, YOU MUST SCHEDULE YOUR TEST APPOINTMENT VIA PROMETRIC. Your Permit will include a scheduling number and a candidate ID# which grants you access to the exam on the examination day.
- On the day of your exam, you will not be admitted to the testing room without presenting either a printed or electronic copy of your scheduling permit and an unexpired, government-issued form of identification (such as a driver’s license or passport) that includes both your photograph and signature.
- After you complete your exam, your exam is electronically submitted to NBME for scoring. Scores will be available eight (8) weeks after the examination day.
How to access scheduling permit:
- Go to http://examinee.nbme.org/documents/IBHRE
- Enter your first name, last name and your six digit Customer ID (or HRS ID) and log in.
- Enter a valid e-mail address when prompted
- Select the ‘Print Scheduling Permit’ link and your permit will open in a new browser window.
How to schedule exam:
- Refer to the instructions on the scheduling permit to schedule your exam appointment.
- Exam appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, therefore the earlier you schedule your appointment, the more likely you are to receive your preferred test location. We strongly recommend that you schedule your appointment at least 30 days prior to the exam. No exam appointments can be scheduled within two business days of exam day.
- If you call to schedule your examination appointment you will be required to provide the program code, exam code and scheduling number which will be located in the scheduling permit. Prometric will provide you with the test center location and telephone number. Please call the test center for directions.
What to do with your permit after scheduling your appointment:
- Keep your permit somewhere that makes easy to find. You will need to either print and take your permit or present your permit electronically (e.g., via Smartphone), to Prometric's test center staff to gain admittance to the exam room.
- Upon receiving your permit, you should also check it carefully to make sure that the first and last names on your permit match exactly the first and last names on your Government Issued ID that you will use to gain admittance to the Prometric Test Center on exam day. If the names do not match, you will not gain acceptance to the Test Center on exam day. Exception is made for the appearance of middle names and middle initials.
If the names on scheduling permit and ID do not match:
- Contact IBHRE immediately to request a new permit. The fastest way to request a new permit is to send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org providing the name that appears on your permit and the name that appears on your ID.
- You should receive a new permit within 1-2 weeks of submitting your request. Once you receive your new permit, you should keep it in a safe place so it will not be lost. Be sure to destroy the original permit upon receipt of the new one.
- You do not need to wait for the new permit with the corrected name before scheduling your exam appointment. You may still use the scheduling number and the name that appears on your original permit to schedule your appointment. Upon issuance of a new permit, the only information that will change is your name. Your scheduling number and CIN number will remain the same.
- Prometric will update your name automatically in its system regardless of whether you have scheduled your appointment or not. IBHRE strongly recommends that you schedule your appointment as soon as you receive your permit regardless of any discrepancies in your name.